[imp] Re: IMP 3.1 & Return Receipt or Delivery Notification

Mark mark_weinstock@yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 21:15:16 2002

You are correct. The mail server (MTA) provides the delivery receipt.
Most MTAs have settings to either answer or reject delivery receipt
requests. Some also have the ability to strip off read receipt
requests, so that the end users never even get the read receipt
request.

And yes, the mail reader (MUA) provides the read receipt. There are
web-based mail applications that have a pop-up when there is a read
request asking of you want to send it. To me it's a "nice to have"
rather than a requirement. What I haven't seen (but haven't looked
for) is the ability to accept or reject ALL read receipt requests.
That seems to be a more typical setting for most users.

When two users are on the same mail server, it simply depends how the
mail server handles requests. Most (that I've seen) do not
differentiate betwen read/delivery requests from external and
internal users.

--- Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Minh Thi Trinh <minh.thi.trinh@UMontreal.CA>:
>
> > I mean between users of IMP ONLY.  Supposely you and I are using
> IMP 3.1 as
> > email.  I want to get a delivery notification after sending you a
> message. It
> > would then depend on you mail server which generates or not the
> notification,
> > even if you also have IMP 3.1 installed on it?
>
> I believe that is correct for delivery receipts (but not for read
> receipts).
>
> In other words, read receipts are handled by IMP, delivery receipts
> are
> handled by the MTA (sendmail, postfix, exchange, etc).
>
> > I do not mentionned other email systems, as far as I know,
> Outlook would
> > generate the return receipt to the sender when the sender uses
> IMP 3.1 to
> > send message with the option Delivery Notification.
>
> My understanding (which could be wrong) is that MTA (e.g. exchange)
> would
> generate the delivery receipt,  and outlook (MUA) and/or exchange
> (MTA)
> could generate the read receipt.
>
> In other words, I don't think IMP ever matters in delivery
> receipts, but
> does in read receipts.  Anyway, I'm sure someone else on the list
> will
> clear this all up with more authority than I can.
>
> --
> Eric Rostetter
> The Department of Physics
> The University of Texas at Austin