[imp] Attn:Dev's..imp gpg continues to be broken (for me).

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Wed Nov 20 23:02:22 2002

Quoting dscott@phivedesign.com:

| [snip]
|
| My question to the Dev's.  Why all the extraneous stuff in the msg
| headers and
| body?...:
|
| This message is in MIME format.
|
| --=_afd15f889e0f1bce83ad0897
|
| Version: 1
|
| --=_afd15f889e0f1bce83ad0897
|
| Who is breaking the RFC's..Outlook, or Imp?

See RFC 2015/3156.  Outlook is not correct... at least not following the
protocol for MIME Security with OpenPGP.  OpenPGP messages should be
encapsulated in "multipart" MIME Parts.  This is what IMP does.  On my
system (and others), IMP correctly handles and sends emails that are
correctly read by Mutt, Sylpheed, and Evolution.

The old (and apparently deprecated way) of sending PGP messages is to send
the entire PGP data in a text/plain part.  This has several drawbacks (e.g.
no way of determining from the MIME message itself what kind of PGP message
it is, etc.)... thus the formulation of RFCs.  IMP *does* support these
kind of messages - you just have to turn it on first (the option "Should
the body of text/plain messages be scanned for PGP data? " in PGP
Preferences).

As for the original error - check to make sure your Mail_Mime package is at
least version 1.2.1.  That's what I have and I see no error in the
mimeDecode module.

michael