[imp] duplicate email entries from LDAP

Andrew Daviel andrew@andrew.triumf.ca
Thu Nov 21 20:40:19 2002

I am just trying to get IMP (horde-2.1 imp-3.1 turba-1.1) running
on a RedHat 7.3 box, after vowing not to touch the
custom config doing apache/ssl/php/ldap from source)

Throwaway question - the style seems broken in Netscape 4 (all grey).
Is it fixable, or does anyone care ?

The real question:

We have long names enabled in sendmail so that e.g. jfish@triumf.ca and
Joe.Fish@triumf.ca both work. We are running an LDAP server (hacked
backend-passwd, or maybe gdbm offline, haven't decided) which returns
two mail entries, which I think is legal in LDAP. Certainly, you can't
just make up field names (such as mail2) without creating a custom schema.

Other mail tools (Netscape, Mozilla) seem to get the first one and use it,
or if you click the entry generate HTML with two separate clickable
mailto: URLs. Pine seems to get both and compose to both viz.
Joe Fish <jfish@triumf.ca>, JoeFish@triumf.ca
which is legal. Again, if you drill down you get a page with all the
ldap stuff and two separate addresses to choose from.

IMP 2 worked OK with this; it used the first email address.
IMP 3 returns both addresses, comma separated. When it
builds the address to compose to, it creates
  Joe Fish <jfish@triumf.ca, JoeFish@triumf.ca>
which is illegal.

I can't quickly find where this is coded to fix it.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376