[imp] Re: IMP and Cyrus - unencrypted login to localhost impossible?

Markus Gaugusch markus@gaugusch.at
Thu Nov 21 21:03:39 2002

On Nov 21, Tornoci Laszlo <torlasz@xenia.sote.hu> wrote:
> Yes, it is not a problem with IMP. You need to tell Cyrus-imapd not to
> offer anything else but PLAIN as an auth mech, and then you are ok.
> Just make sure imap/notls is used only through localhost (I use iptables
> for this). These lines in /etc/imapd.conf will make Cyrus offer only PLAIN:
>
> allowplaintext: yes
> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
>
> There is no need to recompile cyrus as someone else suggested on this
> list.
Sorry to bug you, but it didn't work:
dynast:~ # telnet localhost 143
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK dynast Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.9 server ready
. capability
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE AUTH=GSSAPI AUTH=CRAM-MD5
AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=OTP X-NETSCAPE
. OK Completed

My imapd.conf contains:
configdirectory: /var/lib/imap