[imp] BCC privacy problem?

Matt Saunders matt.saunders@uk.easynet.net
Tue Nov 26 14:10:54 2002

Hiya,

I have a list of people who I wish to BCC a single message to (they
are all confirmed opt-in recipients).

However, if I don't put anything in the To or CC fields and only
use BCC, all the recipients end up on the "To" line!

e.g.:

    Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:56:08 +0000
    From: matts@yoyo.org
    Subject: BCC test
    To: bcc1@matts.net, bcc2@matts.net, bcc3@matts.net

    All recipients of this mail are in the BCC line.

    This mail sent with IMP courtesy of yoyo.org

In this email, all the recipients were BCCed and the To and CC lines
were empty.

This seems to be a privacy problem with IMP, but I've been unable to
find a definitive source that says what the proper behaviour should be
in the absence of To and CC lines but I seem to remember that the MUA
(IMP) should add "To: undisclosed-recipients;" in the absence of any
other To or CC information.

Can anyone please clarify this for me one way or the other?

Matt.
--
  Matt Saunders                     matt.saunders@uk.easynet.net
    Services Support Manager          tel: +44 (0)20 7032 7000