[imp] BCC privacy problem?

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Tue Nov 26 16:16:54 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:10:54PM +0000, Matt Saunders <matt.saunders@uk.easynet.net> wrote:

> This seems to be a privacy problem with IMP, but I've been unable to
> find a definitive source that says what the proper behaviour should be
> in the absence of To and CC lines but I seem to remember that the MUA
> (IMP) should add "To: undisclosed-recipients;" in the absence of any
> other To or CC information.

Proper behavior is undefined for Bcc -- the official line, roughly,
is "Don't rely on this unless you're positive that nothing along the
way will insert that information". The de-facto (read: Pine) standard
for Bcc-only is almost what you had:

   To: undisclosed-recipients:;

The ":;" is important, because it's an empty addr-list.

(Also: Hi, all. Still lurking. :-)

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!