[imp] load balancing

Amith Varghese amith at xalan.com
Thu Dec 5 20:05:08 2002

> You would need to be more specific.  Basically everything should be easy
> to setup with ldap except sessions.  If you can get the sessions in ldap
> also, then you would be home free.

I would be careful here... ldap was never designed for lots of writing.... it
excels at reading (in many cases faster than a database if tuned correctly) but
its write performance isn't nearly as hot.  Preferences are a good thing to
store in ldap because they don't change frequently.  However session seem like
something that would change alot and doesn't belong in ldap IMHO

> I'd use ldap instead of the database, and set up ldap replication between
> the servers.  (One would be the master, the other the read-only replication
> of the master.  If the master fails, then you would need a script to detect
> that and bring up the read-only replica as the master).

One day OpenLDAP will support multi-master replication (basically HA LDAP
servers) but not yet.  Netscape does support it now though.  I think Novell does
as well.

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-bugs/200101/msg00031.html