[imp] load balancing

Brian Clark bclark at protocolusa.com
Thu Dec 5 20:09:09 2002

Eric Rostetter wrote:

>Good choice!

I should also have mentioned that we bought our BigIP's from Dell, and
as you suggested, saved a ton of money.

>>However, I haven't figured out the best way load balance an IMP
>>installation. I use LDAP to store all of my user information, and all of
>>my user mailboxes are stored on an NFS server. How do I store _all_ of
>>the user-specific configuration information for IMP in an LDAP
>>directory?
>>

>You would need to be more specific.  Basically everything should be easy
>to setup with ldap except sessions.  If you can get the sessions in ldap
>also, then you would be home free.

I am using Horde 2.0 and IMP 3.1 with PHP 4.1.2 on RedHat 7.3. I use
Courier-IMAP 1.5.3 and Qmail-LDAP with OpenLDAP 2.0.23.
I can't seem to find much about using LDAP with IMP, other than setting
up Turba to use it as it's shared addressbook. I did find the
horde.schema file, but I am not sure how it is used. I don't believe
that Turba requires it just to setup a shared addressbook.

>>Also, for true redundancy, would I need to install a
>>database on each of my Horde/IMP servers? I use PostgreSQL for the one
>>server that I have running IMP right now.
>>

>I'd use ldap instead of the database, and set up ldap replication between
>the servers.  (One would be the master, the other the read-only replication
>of the master.  If the master fails, then you would need a script to detect
>that and bring up the read-only replica as the master).

How would you use LDAP instead of the database? Doesn't IMP basically
require a database? Also, I do have LDAP replication setup and load
balanced (via BigIP).

Brian!