[imp] Re: imp Digest, Vol 235, Issue 3

Craig Richardson crichard at maccs.mq.edu.au
Fri Dec 6 00:01:49 2002

Hi There,

Andy, is this session timeout you refer to in the php.ini file the
session.gc_maxlifetime variable???

Also I've been running IMP successfully for a couple of years now but only
recently forced everyone to use SSL to connect.  Now I have had some people
complain about being logged out without warning.  I have looked at the MIT
help page for their IMP installation and suggested to people that they leave
their inbox open so that it refreshes and keeps their connection alive.

I have one machine that runs apache/php/mysql/ssl and IMP is running off
that.  It is also running samba and netatalk and ftp for my centre so its
NIC is pretty busy (although the server load is pretty low).

What are the best avenues to explore to increase the amount of time people
are logged in for, my session.gc_maxlifetime is 1440 which is 24 minutes
however with the inbox left open people can stay logged in for longer than
that?

Is this perhaps something to do with SSL loads, if so can these be
lengthened or is this a case of perhaps getting a dedicated server to host
IMP so there is less traffic.

I have about 50 people use IMP but they use it as their primary client, ie -
it would be good if they can be logged in all day.

Thanks for any advice.
Craig

--
Craig Richardson, BSc