[imp] Re: SSL and timeouts?

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Dec 6 15:31:33 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Craig Richardson wrote:

> Hi Andy, that¹s for that it was extremely useful, I've bumped up to 366=
> see if that helps.
>
> When I was talking about SSL, I meant that maybe it be the case that ther=
> are too many SSL connections coming in and as they are more resource
> intensive than normal http connections that apache (or mod ssl) is timing
> people out before PHP can via the session.
>
> Or is that just silly??

You are right that SSL connections take more processing time than plain
HTTP connections, but unless the page *never* gets loaded (and that would
have to be some really overloaded server!) their session should get
refreshed in time.

> I ask because I have all the users inboxes refreshing every five minutes,
> and my session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440 so therefore it shouldn¹t ever l=
og out
> (you'd think).  However it does log out, and I've looked and the inboxes =
are
> refreshing.  The thing that made me think of SSL is that the timeout is n=
ot
> after a fixed time, but always after some long amount of time.  I'm not a
> 100% certain but I'd say its after the 1440 seconds in the php.ini file.
>
> Any advice/speculation would be welcome!!

If you have Horde/IMP setup to log, you should see an actual message in
the log saying, "Session timeout for ...".  Do you see any messages like
that?

	Andy