[Fwd: RE: [imp] Limiting IMP installation to one address to send/receive mail]

robert sand rsand at d.umn.edu
Fri Dec 6 19:11:48 2002

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [imp] Limiting IMP installation to one address to send/receive mail
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:51:12 -0500
From: "Tobias Eigen" <tobias@kabissa.org>
To: "'robert sand'" <rsand@d.umn.edu>

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I have a gut feeling that you're right about this,
but I don't know how to do it. Additionally, I want to host this on my
Rackspace server which has many domains on it - I only want this
limitation to affect a single domain. Is this something that an antispam
program like spamassassin could handle?

In case anyone is wondering what this is about, here's a description of
the project and the problem we are trying to solve: The eJournal
Delivery Service (eJDS) of the Abdus Salam ICTP in Trieste, Italy,
currently offers free access to electronic journals to scientists in
developing countries via a dedicated www4mail server
(http://www.ictp.trieste.it/ejournals/). The service is used by a
limited number of registered scientists, providing them with access to
valuable journals via email. However, there is a problem with some
beneficiaries that do not have their own POP3/IMAP mailbox but instead
use Yahoo, Hotmail or similar webmail. These webmail systems do not do a
good job of handling web pages modified by www4mail for e-mail browsing
(e.g., forbidden "<a href="mailto:'94 tags), put small disk quota limits
and/or consume extra bandwidth with graphical advertisements. This
presents Kabissa with the challenge of having to provide a web interface
to email for the purposes of accessing web pages from eJournals by email
as requested by the eJDS working group. Seems circular, but it makes
sense when you think about it.

Cheers,

Tobias