[imp] /tmp directory not being purged of session files.

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Dec 11 09:39:52 PST 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Christopher Crowley wrote:

> > prefs_cache|a:1:{s:7:"_filled";a:0:{}}horde_language|s:5:"en_US";
> >
> > But an active session has the string "s:3:"imp";b:1;", among other
> > things, in it.
> >
> (  Was: Re: [imp] Help Req. : Sizing a Horde\IMP system for 12,000
> users )
>
> With this detail of differentiation, I set up a script to report to
> MRTG how many active sessions are present.  And I noticed that the
> files in the PHP session.save_path directory are not being garbage
> collected.
>
> <from php.ini>
> session.save_handler      = files
> session.gc_probability    = 1
> </from>
>
> I am running PHP 4.2.3.
>
> Any comments on this? Have others seen this behavior with PHP 4.2.3?
> Should I increase Garbace collection probablility to remedy this?

I run mine at gc_probability = 5 instead of 1, but on any reasonably busy
machine it shouldn't really matter.

Also, I hope I explained clearly what I meant by "active" sessions.  In my
terminology a non "active" session is not (necessarily) one that should be
garbage collected.  An "active" session is one that corresponds to a
currently logged in user.  A non "active" session is one that corresponds
to a user that has logged out (or has not logged in yet) but still has a
valid PHP session.

	Andy