[imp] High Availability / Load Balancing

Lee lee at disinfo.com
Sat Dec 14 14:16:10 PST 2002

Hey All,
We're looking into adding a second imp front end server to provide load
balancing and redundancy to webmail. Forgetting for a minute how to
implement the actual service redundancy/load balancing (i.e. via
hardware, dns roundrobin etc...), I wanted to get a feel for how others
handled the horde/imp/turba specific issues.

Since we currently store all prefs in ldap, I think i have boiled the
problems that need to be solved down to:

1) Sessions - They're currently stored in files. Could a client be
reading or composing an email then try to load a page, end up with the
second horde/imp server (that doesnt have an active session) and be
logged out?

2) Attachments - Could a user upload an attachment, then send the mail
(using the other server that doesn't have the attachment) and get an
error?

Has anyone dealt with redundancy / high availability and found
solutions to the above problems? Are there any other problems that I'm
not thinking about?

Thanks,
Lee