[imp] php 4.3 problem: session.bug_compat_42

Ethan Tuttle ethan at etuttle.com
Sun Dec 22 11:40:14 PST 2002

First off, thanks to Jan for fixing the 4.3 htmlspecialchars() problem so
promptly!  Now that's excellent support for an open source product!

Again, I'm running RELENG_3 of imp and RELENG_2 of horde (updated today) on
php 4.3 rc4.

Everything was working just groovy until I updated my config files to be as
close as possible to the .dist ones from CVS.  Now I'm seeing this message
at the bottom of the page when I go to /horde/imp/login.php:

Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect
which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session extension
does not consider global variables as a source of data, unless
register_globals is enabled. You can disable this functionality and this
warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to off,
respectively. in Unknown on line 0

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what change to the config files made this
message appear.  However I am running the .dist files with only a few
changes for my mysql install.

I will make the changes to php.ini to make the warning go away.  But I
thought the authors would want to know about this issue.

Thanks,

Ethan