[imp] random message deletion?

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Mon Dec 23 10:55:52 PST 2002

We've had a couple of reports from users that claim that our IMP installation is
the only mail client that they're using and that at some point they log in and
all / most / some portion of their inbox is missing and the message count is
lower than it should be.

Now sometimes, there's a POP client out there transfering all of their email
down and deleting it, but in some cases we've confirmed that the only access to
their mailbox has been using IMAP.

Can anyone of think of a circumstance where IMP would delete a large portion of
a user's email w/out marking it deleted and purging (or using the "empty
mailbox" function in the folder management)?  It seems unlikely to me, but we've
had a couple of reports that we can't explain away. I've scanned our access logs
for actionIDs 101 (delete), 160 (expunge) and 159 (empty mailbox), and it's kind
of difficult to look at them and say which message deletions seem abnormal.

any ideas?

Liam