[imp] Balancing Question

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sun Jan 5 18:27:41 PST 2003

Quoting Derek Martin <derek at younet.okstate.edu>:

> Let's say I have a brand new Dell Poweredge running RH7.3 and the
> current production versions of all HORDE apps.  The box is a dual XEON
> 2Ghz a piece with 2Gb of RAM and I have 100Gb of space to play with (for
> possible file caching) and the IMAPProxy 1.0 from HORDE running.
> With this in mind, what would be a reasonable guess from you guys and
> gals as to the number of simultaneous users before we started seeing
> problems running IMP???

Well, the throughput would depend on a couple of
things you didn't mention.

* Disk speed (software raid, hardware raid, jbod, raid levels, etc)
* Mail software used and its configuration.  RH uses wu-imapd/pop3 using
  mbx/mbox format by default.  These are pretty slow compared to other
  formats and/or mailers.  Also, RH provides both sendmail and postfix,
  etc.  Are you running SMTP on the machine, only only IMAP/WEB, or POP3/WEB,
  only WEB?
* Might depend on the network bandwidth if you have lots of large messages,
  but this is unlikely.  The 2650 comes with dual-gig cards, so it can
  definately be made to perform if you network will support such things as
  gig-fast-etherchannel...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics