[imp] PGP bug? - compliance with RFCs 3156 & 1847

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Mon Jan 6 17:44:07 PST 2003

Quoting Chris Hastie <lists at oak-wood.co.uk>:

| I've been puzzled by why a PGP encrypted message sent from Imp displays
| as empty my other MUA, Turnpike.
|
| Comparing the raw text for two similar encrypted test messages, one
| generated by Imp and one by Turnpike nothing obvious leaps out.
|
| However, decrypting the encrypted section manually, I see Imp has:
|
| |This is a test.
| |
| |--
| |Chris Hastie
|
| whilst Turnpike has

| |
| |This is a test
| |--
| |Chris Hastie
|
| RFC3156 states
|
| |4.  OpenPGP encrypted data
| |
| |   Before OpenPGP encryption, the data is written in MIME canonical
| |   format (body and headers).
|
| which is not the clearest statement I've ever seen, but could it mean
| that there should be headers in the encrypted section too, as per the
| Turnpike message?

Doh! I have had this fix lying around for awhile and never bothered to
commit it.

| I also note that the decrypted section from Imp has LF line terminators
| rather than CRLF. Given that this should decrypt to a plain text email,
| this seems a strange choice.

CRLF would be bad because on most systems CRLF translates to 2 breaks per
line.  CRLF is only required for mail transport - not for local display or
even handling on the local end.  LF seems to work fine on all systems when
handling messages locally - even windows (which normally requires CRLF).

michael