[imp] imp inStalLation under Red Hat 8

Rodolfo Segleau segleaur at mechanus.org
Wed Jan 8 00:49:16 PST 2003

 | ----- Message from hammond at matrixtek.com ---------
 |     Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 21:59:25 -0600
 |     From: "Kevin G. Hammond" <hammond at matrixtek.com>
 |  Subject: RE: [imp] imp inStalLation under Red Hat 8
 |       To: Research and Development <r_and_d at amersol.edu.pe>, imp
<imp at lists.horde.org>

 | http://www.matrixtek.com/resources/tools/rh80-imp-faq.html

 good documentation, though i would add the warning on the sendmail rpm
installation of redhat 8.0 which requires two .mc and .cf files (one for
sendmail itself and then the clientmqueue process which uses the submit.mc
file) - that is, of course, anyone wants to use sendmail - many might prefer
qmail - but i'm an old sendmail diehard.

 | FYI, I still don't understand the whole CVS thing.

  CVS is a system that controls several concurrent versions of the same
software. if you check the headers on this email, you'll see i'm also using the
CVS version of imp (and therefore the CVS version of horde itself). It's simply
a service to be able to keep track of several releases. what you really need to
know for horde is how to download and "install" (really configure) horde from
CVS. It's not really that different from all the other stuff you have to do
anyway and it gives you more control to where you put the files. The cvs site
has a pretty standard way of getting the code, though i have a script developed
to download the entire tree and to do updates (if anyone wants it, i'll post
it).

 | Why can't
 | developers put together good installation instructions???  And you

 i hate to be the stinker on this one, but the installation instructions for
the basic modules (horde, imp and turba) are pretty complete. the problem
usually arises when things are installed from rpms without the complete
knowledge of what's needed (which is in the INSTALL and README documents of
Horde). If you have a better way of documenting the installation procedure (or
the configuration procedure), by all means do submit (or post on a url) the
information - though i think it would be better to maintain everything in the
FAQ (http://faq.horde.org).

Cheers,

Rodolfo

--
What we imagine as order is merely the prevailing form of chaos. - Kerry
Thornley