[imp] First login 'session expired' - Second attempt successfull

felix.riedel at ira.uka.de felix.riedel at ira.uka.de
Thu Jan 9 17:34:17 PST 2003

Hi,

i have this one problem that's driving me insane:

-  the first login attempt to IMP 3.1 ends always up in an 'session
expired' message.

- the second attempt to login is ALWAYS SUCCESSFULL
    (this attempt is made immediately after the first one)

One of the obstacles that make debugging hard for me is the fact
that i dont have access to the php.ini. But I know that PHP runs in safe
mode with short_tags turned off. I changed IMP to run in this environment
and it works on my own machine, but not on the second box.

I also know that the first login is succesfull, because i watched
the logs on my own IMAP-server. In addition i know that the 'session
expired' messages originates from lib/IMP.php line 145:

if (!isset($GLOBALS['HTTP_SESSION_VARS']['imp']) ||
    !is_array($GLOBALS['HTTP_SESSION_VARS']['imp']) ||
    !isset($GLOBALS['HTTP_SESSION_VARS']['imp']['user']))

and I assume that around IMP.php line 121ff:

$GLOBALS['HTTP_SESSION_VARS']['imp'] = &$imp;
session_register('imp');

the reason problem can be found.

It's probably nothing wrong with the code, but there must be a reason in
the server configuration that makes running IMP buggy.

If anobody else experienced this problem and/or knows a workaround, please let me know

Felix Riedel
riedel at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de