[imp] Fix for Headers.php with multiple http proxies

Chris Hastie lists at oak-wood.co.uk
Sun Jan 12 18:52:48 PST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Jon Knepher <jbk at wild-e.com> wrote

>For CVS HEAD.  A notice and bad Received line is inserted when a message goes
>through 2 or more http proxies.  This discards the middle proxy addresses and
>uses the client's ip address.

On the subject of proxies and Headers.php...

I'm unfortunate enough to live behind a transparent proxy. This does not
use the X-Forwarded-For header, but instead a Client-IP header. So far,
easy enough, but it gets worse (it would - it's ntl:)

Some of ntl:'s transparent proxies include the client's IP address 'as
is' in the Client-IP header. Others (and the one I'm behind has just
changed), reverse the order of the blocks. Eg, my IP address is
currently 213.107.48.23, I see

HTTP_CLIENT_IP      : 27.48.107.213

I think, but am not sure, that whether IP addresses are reversed or not
is detectable by a trailing -R in the proxy's version:

HTTP_VIA            : HTTP/1.1 ntl_site[C0A80107] (Traffic-Server/5.2.0-R [uSc ])

There's a list of the characteristics of different ntl: proxies at
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adf/ntlproxies.html>.

So there's a challenge... :)
--
Chris Hastie