[imp] Greek Exchange 2000 SP3 folder names appeared garbled

Giannis Stoilis giannis at stoilis.gr
Wed Jan 15 10:31:59 PST 2003

Hello,
I am using IMP 3.1 with Horde 2.1, with the default configuration on a SuSe 8.0
using Apache 1.3.23(distribution default) and PHP 4.1.0(also distribution
default)
I use IMP for accessing an Exchange 2000 SP3 server through IMAP.
Everything works OK, except one thing: In IMP, folder names with Greek
characters appear garbled.
BUT, I can access and use any folder, even the ones with the garbled names
without any problem. So, I don't think there is a wrong encoding/decoding
somewhere in the process, orelse I wouldn't be able to access them.
The strangest thing is that I CAN create folders with greek names using IMP
that appear CORRECTLY in IMP but they appear as questionmarks in outlook.

Should I submit this as a bug? Is it a bug or a mis-configuration, in your
opinion? Should I insert a custom decoding function between IMP and Exchange? I
am not very advanced in PHP to do this on my own, so I would like some help
from anyone interested. I can provide you with all the information and details
you want.

I have prepared some screenshots you can see:

Here, you can see the folder list garbled
http://www.thpa.gr/imp/1.gif

Here, you can see a newly created folder created by IMP, with greek characters
shown correctly
http://www.thpa.gr/imp/1.gif

Here you can see a message inside a garbled folder with Greek subject shown
correctly.
http://www.thpa.gr/imp/1.gif

Thanks in advance
- Stoilis Giannis