[imp] Rename INBOX

Chris Hastie lists at oak-wood.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 11:29:19 PST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Ralf Zipp <ralf.zipp at web.de> wrote
>Hello,
>
>is it possible to choose a different name for the INBOX folder, where
>the new message arrive?

Sort of yes, but it doesn't do what you I suspect you want.

INBOX isn't an Imp thing, it's an IMAP thing. It's a reserved name for a
user's primary folder on a server. RFC2060 says this about renaming it:

|      Renaming INBOX is permitted, and has special behavior.  It moves
|      all messages in INBOX to a new mailbox with the given name,
|      leaving INBOX empty.  If the server implementation supports
|      inferior hierarchical names of INBOX, these are unaffected by a
|      rename of INBOX.

In other words, you can "rename" INBOX, but the effect is simply to
create a new folder with your chosen name and move the contents of INBOX
to that folder. INBOX still exists, and still gets your new mail.
--
Chris Hastie