[imp] IMP compose vs transparent proxy

Syahrul Sazli Shaharir sazli at myjaring.net
Thu Jan 23 04:43:56 PST 2003

Found out that the ISP proxy server somehow configured (or
bugged :) ) to truncate multipart/form-data POSTs to around
1320 bytes, resulting in infinite loop. (Figured this out via tcpdump
-- I missed it the first time).

Did a workaround by detecting the culprit proxy IP and forcing
POST via https temporarily in compose.php (thus evading the
proxy). Patch & tcpdump output available in case anybody's
interested :) ).

Thanks..

Memetik/Petikan Syahrul Sazli Shaharir <sazli at myjaring.net>:

> Hi,
>
> I maintain an IMP RELENG_3 installation, with php-4.2.3, apache
> 1.3.26.
> Users from one ISP complains that the compose window fails on 'Send
> Message' button (hangs indefinitely while connecting to the server).
>
> tcpdump on the server reveals nothing -- the submit action never
> reaches the server. The only clue is, from the HTTP headers prior to
> that, the ISP uses Netapp NetCache transparent proxy:-
>
> Via: 1.1 NetCache01 (NetCache NetApp/5.3.1R2)
>
> I suspect the request gets stuck in the proxy and never arrives to
> IMP. What are the possibilities of the cause of this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance..

--sazli
cd /open/source; make world
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x06D4113E
Key fingerprint = 0776 CC02 2C3F C0FF 7312  0C3E 0593 AF64 06D4 113E