[imp] Very alarming/strange login problems - user logs in to someone else's session

Lars Hecking lhecking at nmrc.ucc.ie
Tue Jan 28 19:33:37 PST 2003

> This *might* be your problem.
>
> > ;session.entropy_length = 16
> > ;session.entropy_file = /dev/urandom
>
> Normally this is the solution.  Maybe even something bigger than 16 for a
> site your size.  But, solaris 8 doesn't have a /dev/urandom.  So you need
> to find another source of entropy.  Either install an obscure Solaris patch
> that will give you a /dev/random and I think a /dev/urandom, or install a
> third party package to get a /dev/random, or come up with another entropy
> source to use (which will probably lack performance).

 There is nothing obscure about it, not at all. In fact, applying this patch
 is part of my standard Solaris 8 post-install.

Patch-ID# 112438-01
Date: Mar/28/2002

 More information at http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~andi/SUNrand/, which also
 provides an alternative to Sun-provided random devices (I would not use
 the device provided by SUNWski: it's a pipe, not a kernel device, and the
 different I/O semantics may be cause of trouble for apps that expect a "real"
 random device).