[imp] Re: Delivery Conformation err, Read Receipts

Chris Hastie lists at oak-wood.co.uk
Wed Jan 29 10:46:57 PST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Ryan Malloy <rmalloy at meridianschools.org> wrote
>Yes, I mean Read Receipts.... sorry for the confusion.
>
>IMP generates the following headers when a return receipt is requested:
>Disposition-Notification-To: rmalloy at meridianschools.org
>Return-Receipt-To: rmalloy at meridianschools.org
>
>It should honor the same headers, but it seems Return-Receipt-To is more of a
>Delivery notification, not a read notification. Does the checkbox in IMP mean
>delivery and read confirmation?
>
>Also, does anybody have more info on how the other MUA's use the Return-
>Receipt-To: header? I checked MS Outlook 2002, and it uses Disposition-
>Notification-To: for read receipts, and Return-Receipt-To: for delivery
>confirmation.

Disposition-Notification-To: is intended to be responded to by MUAs,
using a 'Message Disposition Notifications' as defined in RFC 2298

IMHO Return-Receipt-To should not be responded to by IMP. It is
non-standard, but never the less widely used a request for a delivery
confirmation. These should be despatched by the MTA not the MUA, if the
header is honoured at all. There are better mechanisms for requesting a
delivery status notification, eg the NOTIFY=SUCCESS ESMTP statement.

The remaining two headers are proprietary and non-standard.
--
Chris Hastie