[imp] Auto generate email on first login to IMP

George A. Theall theall at tifaware.com
Wed Feb 5 13:06:32 PST 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 05:01:53PM +0000, Rodney Edwards wrote:

> We are about to launch IMP and one the features I have been asked for is
> to auto generate an email when a user first log's in. This is to welcome
> them to the system and a short FAQ to tell them how to set up there
> identities, contacts etc..
>
> I've been through the FAQ, mailing lists and google but come up blank.
> Has anyone implemented this yet or does anyone have a general idea on
> how to do it.

What about modifying the function loginTasks in imp/lib/IMP.php to do
this? That function gets the user's last login timestamp and then runs
maintenance / does filters / etc.  Just check for $last_login equal to
0.  Should work for IMP 3.1, which you say you have.  And if you have it
call a separate function, it'll be easy to move to a later version of
IMP, one that has this functionality out of the box.

Btw, since delivery times and checking of email are not necessarily
instantaneous, consider just popping up a window with the welcome
message, pointer to FAQ, and perhaps an option to e-mail the info to
them.

George
theall at tifaware.com