[imp] attachments causes 2 messages + 2 attachments + double size

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 6 21:49:45 PST 2003

Quoting Scott Mcdermott <mcdermot at questra.com>:

> I am using RH8.0 patched current as of today (including the PHP update
> they just gave out, but it had this problem before.)

For years I ran Horde/IMP on RH 6.1 (with many patches/updates).  I ran it
recently on a stock RH 8.0 system except with a newer kernel (2.4.20).  Now
I've upgraded that system with my own php 4.3.0, apache 2.0.43, and mod_ssl
2.0.43. (All these RPMS are based off the RH RPMS, just updated to newer
versions)

I've never had one bit of problems, other than some known php.ini settings
or /etc/httpd/conf.d/* or /etc/httpd/conf/* settings, and the one syslog
problem I'll note below.

Here are differences I noted between my system and the others having problems:

* I use a newer kernel (2.4.20)
* I use wu-imapd
* I use sendmail, locally and not via smtp

> Note the bizarre syslog corruption

I've always seen this when I set Horde logging to syslog, both on RH 6.1
and now on RH 8.0.  It always bothered me, but never caused any problems.
I never seemed to find the time to look into this issue.  Instead I just
set Horde logging to a file instead.

> I'm really perplexed here...known bugs in IMP3.1/Horde2.1 ?

Never heard of anything like it.  In fact, never saw so many attachment
problems until just the last two weeks when we've been flooded with
messages about RH 8.0 systems with attachment problems.

I'm also perplexed, as it all works fine for me...

But, I will tell you that the sendmail corruption is not new or unknown.
I've seen that for at least 2 or 3 years, through different Horde/IMP
versions, and different OS versions.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics