[imp] Setting up horde/imp on a Featureprice server

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Sun Feb 9 23:06:05 PST 2003

Quoting Ryan Booker <ryan at buzzeddie.com>:

> > I'm new to IMP/Horde and am trying to set it up on a featureprice.com
> hosted
> > server.

Never heard of them, but it should be possible.

> > They had an option to install IMP which I used.  This however
> > provided a very basic install with no database, no options, no calendar,
> > nothing except straight email collection and no way to set options or
> > preferences etc.

You will want to start by getting the database working and setup.  Most
everything else (options, calendar, address book, etc) will depend on
the database.

One thing you want to check, and provide to the list when asking for help,
is the horde and imp versions.  You can find them in horde/lib/version.php
and horde/imp/lib/version.php (access via ftp for example) or via the
horde/test.php and imp/test.php pages (accessed via web), at least in
recent versions...

> > I've tried getting help from the featureprice people, but they are
> useless.

Sorry to hear that.

> > Three weeks and the best response I can get is "Select the application you
> > want to install from the list provided".  Which, of course, is what I did
> in
> > the first place.

Well, you have the app, you just need to configure it.  That means two things
to start with.

1) update all the horde/config/*.php and horde/config/*.php files (assuming
a recent version).  You can download them via ftp, configure them, and upload
them via ftp again.  I presume they provided you with *.php versions
already; if not copy the *.php.dist files to *.php.

> > Basically, I want a full featured webmail setup.  With email, calendar,
> task
> > list, options/preferences etc.  My understanding is that this requires a
> > mySQL database.  mySQL is installed and working.  I have a moveabletype
> > database/blog etup and running fine.

It requires an sql database.  MySql is one option.  Since you
have that, go with it.

> > From reading the help on horde.org it seems to rely on me having shell
> > access to the site/mysql.

Well, it provides scripts that you can run from a shell account.  But
you could just issue the same commands from any sql front-end.  So you
don't need a shell account, you just need to work around not having one
(via sql front end, ftp, etc).

>  which I do not.  All I have is a control panel

No idea here what "control panel" means.

> > and ftp access.  I can install and run cgi etc and I have phpMyAdmin, but
> it
> > wont run the create scripts etc, because they are designed to be run at
> the
> > shell of mysql not from a database that already exists (the only way to
> run
> > it in phpmyadmin).

You should be able to issue the sql commands (from those shell scripts)
with any decent sql frontend.  I've not used phpMyAdmin but I would guess
it would provide such a sql interface.

> > I hope that all made sense, and someone can provide some guidance.

Yes, but we really need to know what version of horde/imp you are using,
as mentioned above.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics