[imp] Autocomplete option in $conf[]

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 17 20:44:41 PST 2003

Quoting "Oliver Schulze L." <oliver at samera.com.py>:

> Hi,
> I'm writting about the 'autocomplete=off' parameter that can be inside
> a <form> tag.

Been discussed before, and added to the FAQ.

> I know that using autocomplete is not xhtml compliant, but since many
> modern internet browser have the availability to save users's passwords
> in public computers, I think this issue must be configurable in the file
> /imp/config/conf.php following a big warning that enabling it will
> result is
> a non xhtml compliant page.

So that Horde/IMP won't save their password, but every other web site
the go to will???  If this is a public computer, then the option should
be disabled in the browser, so it won't work with any page.  Trying to
change pages/sites one-by-one won't give any real security.  Disabling
it in the browser will.

> I think that in the case of public computers, this is a security issue
> when the public
> computer is not configured properly.

But it only fixes one hole out of thousands, and is hardly worth worrying
about.  If you run a public facility, make sure it is configured correctly.

> What do you think about it?

Well, from a Horde point of view, I'm fairly neutral.  Don't really care much.
But from a security point of view, this misses the boat totally.  It is
completely the wrong way to tackle a security issue...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!