[imp] Backslashes in To: headers

Bob Maple bobm-imp at burner.com
Sun Feb 23 17:28:50 PST 2003

Having a problem which is ultimately manifesting in IMP due to some other
oddity in vpopmail (still trying to find that one).  Outlook on Windows (not
Express) seems to like to put (E-Mail) next to people's names in the To:
header when you mail someone from your contacts list.  Now due to the
afore-mentioned behaviour of vpopmail, when the recipient happens to be a
vpopmail alias, the message that gets delivered to the real recipient in the
end winds up with a To: header that looks something like:

To: Some Person \(E-Mail\) <someone at somewhere.com>

It's escaping the ()'s for whatever reason - but no matter;  When you reply
to this message in IMP, it gets escaped again, and in the Compose window you
wind up with something like:

To: Some Person \\(E-Mail\\) <someone at somewhere.com>

It doesn't seem to matter if it's singled or doubled-- I can repeat this if
I type in \'s in the To: myself, whether I'm replying to one of these
messages or starting a new one of my own-- but the end result is that IMP
winds up NOT sending the mail, at all, and the user gets no indication of
this.  I've also turned on debug logging and can't tell what could be
happening through the logs either.

I'm running IMP 3.1 and Horde 2.2.1.  As a mailer I'm running qmail, but
Horde is set to use 'sendmail' as it's mailer (using qmail's sendmail
wrapper) which otherwise works great, except for this case.