[imp] Problems connecting to Exchange 5.5

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Mar 4 10:57:30 PST 2003

After using Imp for a week or two to access an Exchange 5.5 server via IMAP,
the server did an unexpected reboot and users could not log in.  The error
message on the Exchange server was that no licese was available for the
connection to Exchange 5.0.  (I believe this server had been upgrade from a 5.0
installation.)

Searching Microsoft's Knowledge Base, I found that this error had been logged
in 1999, and Microsoft was "looking into it".  There was no further
information, but looking for other IMAP errors, it appears that this is
primarily a problem with clients other than MS Outlook - a good reason for
Microsoft never to resolve it.  It may also be related to systems that were
built or upgraded using the MSDN or trial versions of NT and/or Exchange.

My soloution, taken from a ticket related to Exchange 2000, was fairly blunt: I
disabled the license logging service.  This appears to work, but may conflict
with your Microsoft Licensing agreement, so proceed at your own risk.

(This information might be a candidate for the FAQ.)