[imp] Better tooltips

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu Mar 6 21:00:55 PST 2003

Just wanted to get input on this before (anf if) I commit this...

Tooltip support using the "title" tag (on <a> links) is pretty sketchy and
definitely not consistent across browsers.  As such, I've been playing
around with some tooltip javascript libraries to see what I could come up
with.  This was the best library I found:

DOM Tooltip  http://www.mojavelinux.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127

Best of all, it is under the LGPL license so it could be easily absorbed
into Horde.

Mainly, I've been playing with tooltips as a method to better view previews
of messages in IMP.  I personally don't like the previews appearing in the
Thread/subject field - it is much nicer to only see the previews when
mousing over.  Using the title tag is limited because some browsers
(Mozilla) limit it to 80 characters with no linebreaks allowed.  IE allows
longer tooltips, but it's HTML support in the tooltips is extremely limited.

The DOM tooltip library provides clean, fast output in a fairly small
package (the two JS files that need to be included are 30 KB - they
theoretically can be cached by the browser since they are called via a
<script src=""> tag).

Sample output looks like:
http://bigworm.colorado.edu/imp/domtt.jpg

Let me know what you think.