[imp] mail.yahoo-esque "Block HTML graphics in email messages from being downloaded" functionality?

Amith Varghese amith at xalan.com
Fri Mar 7 13:01:20 PST 2003

> > Apparently, Yahoo just added the ability to turn off "img src" tags in HTML
> > email (letting you turn it back on per-message when you think the message
> is
> > safe).
> >
> > Would it be worthwhile considering adding similar functionality to IMP?
> >

> I think this would be a great idea...  To go one step further, there should
> be a
> config option to do this except for people in your addressbook.  So if
> someone
> you don't know sends you an e-mail then the images are blocked.  However if
> you
> know them and they are in your addressbook, you show the HTML as is.  This is
> feature that Evolution has which I really like.  Of course implementing this
> is
> beyond me :)

This wasn't as hard as I originally thought.  The MIME Viewer setup is really
easy to modify.  I've got this pretty much implemented *except* I was looking
for ideas on the best way to enable images after a user decides that they think
the message is safe.  I looked at the way Yahoo did it and I wonder if there is
a cleaner way.  They always show it inline so all they do is put a link saying
do you want to enable images.  But in the case of IMP, html could be either
inline (if enabled) or as an attachment.  What do people think is the best way
for users to re-enable images?  I'm looking for any UI suggestions because I was
trying to avoid modifying the HTML itself.

Thanks
Amith