[imp] Patch for performing action on current message

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 20 13:31:50 PST 2003

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:
>
> | Quoting Oliver Kuhl <okuhl at netcologne.de>:
> |
> | > It's quite a cool new functionality. But I was a little bit confused
> | finding
> | > the arrows to move through the pages of the mailbox on the right side.
> |
> | I agree.
>
> I also agree.

To be more clear, I don't have a problem with the arrows on the right in
the message view, as it has always been there.  But it is strange, it seems,
in the "folder view" where it lists the messages.  It was, I suppose, moved
there so the two views would be consistent in layout.  Sounds good (consistent
layout), but doesn't seem to work well in reality.

It would *seem* like a good idea.  It is consistent, and it is also
right under the "Page X of Y" report.  But it just isn't working, IMHO.

We might try moving the "Move|Copy [Message to]" over flush against the
"[Select] [Mark as:]" boxes, which would be consistent with the message
view.  Then we could move the prev/page/next widgets back to the center,
or at least more centerish, rather than flush right.  I have absolutely
no time to work up that, but if someone can work up the code or a mock
up it might prove interesting.

> | This would simply put us back to the previous design that we were trying
> | to improve on.  The reason for moving it was so that we wouldn't have two
> | folder selection boxes next to each other (vertically), which was very
> | confusing.
>
> Neither I, nor anyone I have talked to, has ever found this confusing.  But

When I first started using it, I would always hit the wrong box.  Of course,
after a week or two you get used to it, and I only very rarely hit the
wrong one now.  I've not had many complaints, but I'm sure others have the
same problems.  I think the key is that you do get used to it.  So it is
only a "learning curve" issue.  But, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be
fixed, as first impressions are important.

> I'll accept that some users may not like this.  (maybe I'm just a creature
> of habit and am simply used to the dropdown being on the left side).

I love it on the left side.  I just don't love having two of the right
next to each other with the same contents.  That is why originally (some
months back) when discussing this I recommended moving the "Open Folder"
box rather than the "Move|Copy" box...  Unfortunately, no one came up with
a good place to move it to.

Again, as Chuck said, this is progress.  And as I said, I think this will
eventually result in a good UI.  And that is what HEAD is all about, no?

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!