[imp] "From" quoted when viewing received messages

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Thu Mar 27 09:59:27 PST 2003

Quoting Rick Emery <rick at emery.homelinux.net>:

> When I view received messages, if the word "From" is the first word on
> the line, that line is quoted (in my case, a > is prepended to the line
> and the line is highlighted it in a different color).

This has nothing to do with IMP; it is because of the mailbox format you are
using. mbox format mailboxes have a From line (no colon) at the beginning
of every message with an address and date; it's how you tell where one
message stops and another starts. Therefore it is illegal to have 'From '
(note the space) to be the first 5 characters of any line. So your delivery
agent - sendmail, postfix, whatever - prefixes any line that starts with
'From ' with a >, so that your mailbox doesn't become horribly corrupted
and broken.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"... It is not more light we need, but more warmth! We die of cold, not of