[imp] messages written in wrong character set

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu Mar 27 14:34:35 PST 2003

Quoting Frank Niedermann <fbn at gmx.net>:

| Hi,
|
| if I write a mail from imp to imp this message is displayed
| on top of the mail:
|
| This message was written in a character set other than your own.
| If it is not displayed correctly, click here to open it in a new
| window.
|
| What does this mean? It won't matter if I choose English (en_US)
| or any other Language (de_DE for example) at login.

The character set of the message does not match up with the character set of
the page your browser is currently displaying.  For example, your page
might be rendered to your browser in ithe 'iso-8859-1' character set but
the text of the message is in the 'us-ascii' character set.  Since pages
sent to the browser can not switch between character sets within the page,
the message has to be opened in a brand new window that renders everything
in the 'us-ascii' character set to work correctly.

michael