[imp] IMP 3.2.1 attachment view / save problem (NS4, maybe others)

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Mon Mar 31 14:30:57 PST 2003

I've just tracked down a problem we're seeing in view.php and believe it should
be replicable on other horde / IMP installations.

It seems that when our users want to save attachents, they follow the hyperlink
that is the file name (which triggers "view attachment", instead of using the
floppy disk (to trigger "download attachment").  When the user does this with an
attachment the browser can't display (because the browser can't handle that kind
of file... that there's no appropriate plug in, or that horde doesn't have a
mime_driver doing stuff to it), the browser opens a dialogue box prompting the
user to download the file.

Right, are we good so far?

Ok, so if the Horde installation has page compression turned on, some browsers
download a gzipped version of the file (not telling the user that the attachment
is gzipped) and prompting the user to think that the attachement is corrupt.

I realize that at some level, this is a user education problem.  But, they see
the  hyperlink and think that's the UI element that they should interact with.

Would it be possible to...
- make "view" vs "download" more explicit (eg actually using the words "view"
  and "download" instead or in addition to icons and alt tags)?
- make the hyperlink's default trigger the "download attachment" case in
  situations where you're not 100% certain the user's browser can display those
  files (eg the common web graphics formats and any file that you've a valid
  MIME_Driver registered with IMP / Horde)?
- disable / not display the hyperlink in situations where you're not 100%
  certain the user's browser can display those files (eg the common web
  graphics formats and any file that you've a valid MIME_Driver registered
  with IMP / Horde)?

I've confirmed this with Netscape 4x (mac and solaris), and judging by our user
reports, it's problem with Netscape 4x for windows, and maybe some versions of IE.

Despite this accidental gzip situation, what about the UI possibilities I'm
suggesting?

Liam