[imp] Filter Display

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue Apr 1 16:09:35 PST 2003

| Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:
|
| > >From Bug #1216:
| > The filter interface displays your list of filters first and the fields
| > used
| > enter a new filter later on the page.  When a user has a number of
| > filters
| > defined and wants to define more filters, it is an usability problem
| > having
| > scroll down to find the new filter definition fields.  A suggestion
| would
| > be
| > display the new filter definition fields before displaying the
| currently
| > defined filters.
| >
| > Comments?
|
| Makes sense to me though I'd like to see how it looks before this change.

I probably should have added my thoughts:
I think this suggestion makes some logical sense but it also goes against
what I have been fighting over for the past few months - a clean UI to
incorporate AND searches (e.g. Delete messages where the To header contains
"Foo1" AND the Subject header contains "Foo2").  But for the life of me, I
haven't figured out a way to do this.  My only idea so far is to either use
some kind of dynamic javascript code (adding Form fields to the current
page when the user clicks on the AND button) or maybe doing the rule
definition on another page.  Either option, though, would work better if
the rule definition was at the bottom of the page.

Any thoughts on this also?  (even better, does anyone have a clean way of
implementing this?  And do they want to code it :) ).  Note that the
backend already supports storage/searching of AND queries so this is
strictly a frontend/UI issue.

michael