[imp] IMP 3.2.1 attachment view / save problem (NS4, maybe others)

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Tue Apr 1 18:53:25 PST 2003

> This sounds more like a browser/compression problem than a UI problem.
> Simply put, there is no centralized mechanism in Horde 2.x to turn off
> compression for buggy browsers as there is in Horde HEAD.  In HEAD,
> compression is turned off for all Netscape 4 (and lower) browsers by
> default.  Your options using Horde 2/IMP 3 are either (1) turn off
> compression for _all_ pages ($conf['compress_pages']) or (2) patch the IMP
> 3 files to not enable compression whenever using a Netscape 4 browser.  If
> you do the latter, a patch would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps it was wrong to tie the UI issue in with this.  If we want a patch to
disable compression when using netscape 4, I can prolly churn that out in no
time.  In the meantime, I just disabled compression completely in view.php.

There is the issue, however, that the "view" link is what (our) users see and
use for most any interaction with attachments, which can create some undesired
results (like the gzip compression getting invoked on files the browser can't
display, or people using "view" to download files, and getting stuck w/the name
"view.php" for their attachements).

Maybe there should be two links, clearly labeled "View" and "Download", and not
make the filename a link at all?  I kinda think that "view" should be disabled
except in situations where we know the browser can display the file - either
because it's a file format the browsers can handle natively (mostly graphics),
or because there's a mime_viewer registered with horde.

Liam