[imp] Folder creation

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Fri Apr 4 10:17:53 PST 2003

Quoting Momo <momo at linutex.com>:

> OK, I have this following parameters in my servers.conf :
>
>     'folders' => 'mail/',
>     'namespace' => '',

>From imp/config/servers.php.dist, which you may or may not have anywhere
because of debian packaging:

 * folders: The folder path for the IMAP server. i.e. UW IMAP generally
 *          looks to 'mail/' while Cyrus and Courier put folders under
 *          'INBOX.' (note the trailing dot). IMPORTANT: Use this only if
 *          you want to restrict users to this subfolder. If you set this
 *          to 'INBOX.' with Cyrus or Courier-IMAPd, then users will not
 *          be able to use any shared folders - nothing outside of 'INBOX.'
 *          will be visible (except, of course, their INBOX itself). If you
 *          simply want to mask out the INBOX. prefix (or another prefix)
 *          for display purposes, use the 'namespace' attribute.  NOTE: If
 *          you use this option, DO NOT SET 'namespace' ALSO!
 *
 * namespace: This is where you put any paths that you want stripped out
 *            for presentation purposes (i.e. you don't want your users to
 *            have to know that their personal folders are actually
 *            subfolders of their INBOX). A common value for this with
 *            Cyrus-style IMAP servers is 'INBOX.'. NOTE: If you have
 *            shared folders, using this may create confusion between shared
 *            sharedfolders and personal folders, if users have folders with
 *            the same name as a shared folder.  NOTE: If you use this
 *            option, DO NOT SET 'folders' ALSO!
 *

In short, 'mail/' is flat-out wrong for Courier. Try both '', or if you
don't need shared folders, set 'folders' to 'INBOX.'. Leave namespace as ''
either way.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"... It is not more light we need, but more warmth! We die of cold, not of