[imp] IMP/Ingo working together... someday... I hope

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Tue Apr 8 01:33:21 PDT 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

| Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:
|
| > As you probably noticed, I've committed several items to ingo in
| preparation
| > of tying it in with IMP to become the exclusive filter interface for
| IMP.
|
| Exclusive, no.  Default, fine.  We should be able to plugin any number
| of modules to do this besides ingo (even if ingo is the only one right
| now).

Maybe I should clarify this more.  Ingo would not be necessarily be the
"default", but it will be the closest to the current functionality of IMP.
Once the current functionality is implemented in ingo, the IMP filter code
will be _completely_ removed.  So ingo will not be a necessary part of IMP
(just as turba isn't), but if you want filtering you must use ingo (or
whatever else will be written to handle filtering).  The whole point of
using ingo in the first place is to replace the (admittedly) weak UI
currently in IMP for handling filters.  And, quite honestly, mail filtering
works much better as a separate component than embedded into IMP (at least
it seems much better in my mental picture of what it will eventually look
like :) )

| > The main reason for doing this is because Mike has written an excellent
| UI
| > for manipulating the blacklist/filters and I feel no need to
| > rewrite/maintain the version currently in IMP.
|
| My only concern here would be a migration utility for those using the
| current IMP filters to be able to somehow go to ingo easily.  If they
| have a large set of rules, they won't want to re-do this by hand.

I will write a script to convert current IMP filters to the new ingo format.

michael