[imp] Problem with IMP & POP3

Andreas Danzer ad at ixx.com
Thu Apr 10 15:42:24 PDT 2003

Hi Chuck,

CH> Why don't you trace the traffic between IMP and the POP server? You seem
CH> awfully intent on pinning this on IMP, but I'm not sure where/how IMP would
CH> do this, even with maintenance. Have you tried other POP3 clients?

I've tried other POP3 clients (Outlook, The Bat!, AK-Mail) and even
other webmailers (phpop) - the problem never occured there.

CH> You might have an evil POP server - cucipop, I think, has some *really* evil
CH> and RFC-breaking configuration options.

Bingo! Actually I'm running cucipop. I know that there's a feature
that automatically deletes old mails in cucipop but I never cared
about it because it hasn't worked with other pop3 clients. Obviously
IMP's handling of pop3 connections is somewhat different from the other
pop3 clients and maybe triggering the delete option in cucipop. I'll
check that.

Thanks for your help. I guess it's really cucipop that's deleting the
mails.

Best regards
A. Danzer