[imp] IMP redirect doesn't work

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 17 12:11:20 PDT 2003

Quoting User HCHEN <hchen at come00.us>:

> But if I visit the login page of IMP directly a warning was displayed:
>
> "Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect
> which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session
> extension does not consider global variables as a source of data, unless
> register_globals is enabled. You can disable this functionality and this
> warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to
> off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0"

What exactly is it that is unclear about the above warning message?
How can we state it more clearly?  To me, it tells one exactly what
to do.  But from the hugh number of requests on the mailing lists, it
is very clear that people are not understanding it.

Can some one come up with a clear explaination and "fix" for this so
I can put it in the FAQ?

My answer to the above is simply: edit your php.ini file and add either
of the following settings:

session.bug_compat_warn = Off
session.bug_compat_42 = Off

Then restart your web server.