IMP filters going away? (was [imp] What is "Nuke message" meaning ?)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Mon Apr 21 13:38:56 PDT 2003

Quoting Rob Brandt <bronto at csd-bes.net>:

| Yes, I must have missed this announcement.  Before I panic, I need to ask
| how
| filtering will be done without the existing filters.
|
| I'm using courier/postfix/Mysql, virtual users with maildir boxes all.
|
| Rob
|

| Quoting Liam Hoekenga <liamr at umich.edu>:
|
| > > However, since all the IMP filter stuff will be going away shortly,
| we
| > > don't need to worry
| > > about this naming much...
| >
| > Er... what happens if you're using an IMAP installation that doesn't
| > support Sieve?  I realize you can use SAM to do blacklist / whitelist
| > stuff w/ Spamassassin, but that's not really full-on filtering.
| >
| > Will there be another filter alternative?  Has someone written a
| > procmail interface for Ingo?

All IMP filtering capabilities will be handled by Ingo instead of internally
within IMP.  Ingo _will_ have the ability to do client-side filtering -- I
just haven't written it yet :) (essentially, the IMP code for filtering
will be moved over to Ingo).  Ingo is preferred to the current system
because 1) it has a much better UI, 2) will allow for more filtering
options (e.g. sieve, procmail) than currently available, while 3) better
integrating these solutions with IMP.  Additionally, the idea of filtering
in general doesn't fit cleanly with the purpose of IMP (IMP is a mail user
client; filtering is more of a mail transfer agent issue, IMHO).

michael