[imp] IMP 3.2.1 very slow

lst_hoe at kwsoft.de lst_hoe at kwsoft.de
Fri Apr 25 11:48:36 PDT 2003

Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Quoting lst_hoe at kwsoft.de:
>
> | At what stage encryption is used?
> | We have a pure HTTPS Webserver for IMP/horde and an unecrypted (notls)
> | connection to localhost IMAP-Server. Therefor i should not see that much
> | change in speed or is this the wrong track?
>
> Your password is stored in encrypted form in the session.  Every page load
> the password must be checked, and this is the 'encryption' referred to.  It
> is handled by the Horde_Cipher:: library.  HTTPS encryption is webpage
> encryption and is a completely different item.

Okay, for the records. I have done some tests with the following baseline :
Hardware : Crappy P2-350 MHz / 256 MB-RAM
System : Linux 2.4-18, Apache 1.3.27, PHP 4.3.1
Test : Open a somewhat complex message within IMP

1.) Horde 2.1 / IMP 3.1 / PHP without mcrypt : 3 sec.
2.) Horde 2.2.3 / IMP 3.2.1 / PHP without mcrypt : 6 sec.
3.) Horde 2.1 / IMP 3.1 / PHP with mcrypt : 2-3 sec.
4.) Horde 2.2.3 / IMP 3.2.1 / PHP with mcrypt : 4 sec.

Need to say that 2. bogs down the CPU for several seconds, 4. don´t load it more
than 1. or 3.

So for me the problem is solved by using Horde 2.2.3 / PHP-mcrypt on this
machine :-)

Next challenge is my K6-233 working for some non-profit project ;-)

Thanxs for the help & the great software

Andreas