[imp] Horde? Why oh why?

Alan W. Rateliff, II lists at rateliff.net
Mon Apr 28 23:22:09 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cody Harris" <hchs at ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Alan W. Rateliff, II" <lists at rateliff.net>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: [imp] Horde? Why oh why?

> Whoa, WHAT local client?

You can install the MySQL client for Windows.  There's also the MySQL
Control Center (or whatever) you can get at mysql.com.  It's a Query
Analyzer-like GUI for MySQL, and VERY handy.

> YMMV?

Your Mileage May Vary

> Oh, last time i installed MySQL on XP, Apache wouldn't work until i
> uninstalled it. Well, people want POP, so i give out POP.

Sounds like a unique problem.  I personally work with a number of people
that run the entire Apache/PHP/MySQL suite on XP.  You'll find plenty more
on the mailing lists and in the news groups.

As for POP vs IMAP, go over to Washington University and check out the
WU-IMAP package.  It comes with a POP daemon that has an IMAP back end.
Some POP daemons do not play well with IMAP (like Qualcomm's QPopper, since
it spools to a temp file.)  I'm actually in the process of replacing QPopper
with WU's ipop3d on the majority of my systems.

> I'm not good with documentation, becuase something always goes wrong, and
> can't get it, so i give up. What ever happened to simple installs?

Most installs are simple if you follow the documentation.  The last simple
install I did was on my Commodore 64 (until I wrote my BBS software, which
was an absolute b%^&$ to configure :), but software has gotten much more
complex since then.

But in the end, if you think that Horde is too difficult to work with, you
might be happier with packages like Squirrel Mail or UebiMiau.  A number of
my Linux-newbie buddies have used both of those and are quite happy... and
jealous of my Horde setup, but what can you do?

--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :       RATELIFF.NET
 Independent Technology Consultant :    alan2 at rateliff.net
      (Office) 850/350-0260        :  (Mobile) 850/559-0100