[imp] Hi guys - DESPERATE plea for help here...

Nigel Cass N.Cass at Hull.ac.uk
Thu May 1 16:09:41 PDT 2003

> Horde expects to have a persistant database connection - it's really good
> at opening a new database connection when a new apache child process has
> been spawned, but not particularly good at reopening a connection that has
> been closed for some reason (eg your database rebooted, or you set a
> connection time out on the database side).  I'm not sure if that's a PHP
> function or the way the Horde database stuff is written, but once the
> connection's there, it's doesn't handle loosing it particularly
> gracefully.

Thanks for that e-mail Liam - definitely very useful and makes a lot of
sense.

However! It seems that if I am connecting to a database on the local machine
(allowing persistent connections but with wait_timeout set to 10) everything
works beautifully well. No problems to speak of in horde.log and no problems
reported. IF I point this at a database on another server (exactly the same
configuration) straight away I am met with the same problem - namely DB
errors and entries in the horde.log as below.

May 01 08:45:40 HORDE [emergency] [imp] DB Error: connect failed:
[nativecode=Link to server lost, unable to reconnect] ** Array [on line 108
of "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/horde/lib/Prefs/sql.php"]

Interestingly I notice that if I up wait_timeout to an hour I still do see
the same problem in the horde.log but it is less frequent.

Anyone else seen the same problem ??

Anyone got any advice ??

Nigel.