[imp] IMP can't read attachments that are not MIME

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu
Fri May 2 12:14:11 PDT 2003

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

| Quoting Markus Gaugusch <markus at gaugusch.at>:
|
| > I have problems with lots of mails that are like this:
|
| Welcome to the club...
|
| > --snip--
| > Bla bla bla
| >
| > 644 begin attachment.zip
| > [data]
| > end
| >
| > 644 begin attachment2.zip
| > [data]
| > end
| > --snip--
|
| These are uuencoded attachments included in-line in the email.  Since
| there
| is no real standard for uuencode, more less uuencoded attachments in-line
| in an email, these are non-standard implementations.

[snip]

| I think the CVS HEAD version has uuencode support, added about a month or
| so ago?  But nothing in the release tree, and I really doubt it will be
| backported.
|
| BTW, doing anything (client end) with these will be a huge performance
| hit.
| It means either you have to scan every message in your mailbox for these,
| and
| convert it on the fly (or locally in the inbox) to a mime format, or you
| need to
| modify every viewer to look for this stuff and handle it in some way.
| Scanning every message this way (either way) is going to be a major
| performance
| hit.

Everything Eric says is correct.  There is support for uuencoded messages in
Horde/IMP HEAD.  It is a performance hit since the entire body of every
message must be scanned for this data (this is one reason why MIME is so
much better).  For this reason, it is disabled by default.

To do uudecoding, 1) use HEAD releases and 2) go to
imp/config/mime_drivers.php and change this line:
$mime_drivers['imp']['plain']['uuencode'] = false;
to true.

michael