[imp] attachments time out during upload

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue May 6 02:21:43 PDT 2003

Quoting Ken Winke <ken at optimus.com>:

> I'm not sure if this is a feature of Horde, or else a setting I need to
> tweak in apache or php.  I'd like to be able to use attachments through
> horde between 5-10MB.  However, when I try to attach them, it usually
> errors out after 60 seconds.  The occassions I've had it successfully
> attach, it errors out while sending the message...which results in the
> message arriving but without the attachment.
>
> I tried updating the max_execution_time variable in php.ini but that didn't
> seem to make a difference.

I could be a php.ini setting (max_memory, post_max_size, upload_max_filesize,
etc) or it could be a webserver setting (e.g. apache's Timeout value)

> Also...is this a bad idea?  Should I be capping uploads at smaller sizes to
> prevent overall poor performance through the server or is it successful on
> a fairly current server (dual PIII/866 - 512mb RAM)?

I cap my email at 10 MB.  But an upload of a file may be up to two times
the original size (e.g. base64 encoded), so there is some room for error
here.  Also, if your users are on slow links, it will take a *very*
long time to upload any large files.  Don't try this on a 56K modem, or
even a 128K adsl/isdn link.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics