[imp] Segfaults with IMP

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon May 12 12:10:49 PDT 2003

Quoting Hans de Groot <imp at dandy.nl>:

> The answer was that it could not be horde or imp but something with apache or
> php.

PHP is interpreted code, and hence it can not segfault.  It can only
exercise bugs in the php or apache code which causes them to segfault.

> My problem with this answer is that I changed redhat and apache and php and
> still imp 3.1 gives me segfault

The segfault is indeed in either apache or php, and not in IMP or Horde.
As explained above, this is always the case.  PHP code can not segfault.
Only php itself, or apache itself, can segfault.

> Since more people have this problem and I my knowledge is not good enough to
> fix
> it my self I hoped there was a general answer to this problem.

Some times, but only if you specify enough detail to find a known problem
(like php version, apache version, what action causes the segfault, etc).

> Does any one have any suggestions? (besides that it's ot imps fault.) I got

Nope.  It is not IMP's fault.  You must debug where the problem is.  See
the php site, or recent list messages, for some details on how to generate
a backtrace.

> I also heard that segfault 11 has something to do with hardware. could it
> just be out of memory?

Anything is possible, but nothing you said so far compells me to think
it would be memory.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics